Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Health Start

Today Craig and I had our first session at Health Start. We were recommended by our GP a couple of months ago, for this scheme which is run at the local leisure centre, two afternoons a week, two hours per session. It's basically to try and get us healthier and to lose some weight. The scheme runs for 12 weeks then you go on to the next level.
We started off in the gym. I went on the wind cycle, where you have to pedal your feet and move your arms at the same time. I expect that'll do my shoulders some good, but I bet they hurt like hell tomorrow when I get up. After the bike - where I pedalled for about a mile and a half in ten minutes, I went on the treadmill and walked for ten minutes. I don't think I even made it to a mile, but it's more non-stop walking than I've done in ages.
After we were all finished in the gym we moved into the sports hall where we had a choice of what to do. There was either table tennis, soft tennis or badmington. Craig and I decided on badmington, which neither of us have played for more than 20 years. I quite enjoyed the badmington. All in all it was a good afternoon and I surprised myself at how much I actually did. Our next session is Thursday afternoon and I'm quite looking forward to it. As far as I know we'll be in the gym for the whole of the two hours. YIKES!

No comments: