Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Weekend in Bridlington

We had a lovely long weekend break in Bridlington. When I say long weekend it was actually from Sunday to Tuesday (yesterday). On Sunday we packed the car up early, Craig, Kate and I, and went round to pick my brother Kevin up from his house before we had a steady drive down the east coast to Yorkshire. We stopped off in Guisborough for a pee break and arrived in Bridlington at about 11am. After booking into the hotel we removed the cool box from the boot of the car and walked over to the promenade, where we sat and ate our lunch. It was glorious sunshine and we just watched the world walk by. Then we went to the pub. Sat outside that pub for an hour then we were getting too hot so we went over the road to another one and spent the rest of the afternoon in there. Kate went back to the hotel for a lie down as she was knackered after her early morning. She came back to the pub at around 4.30pm. We stayed for another couple of hours before returning to the hotel for a wash and a brush up, and a couple of drinks in the hotel bar, then we went for something to eat. We were going to go to Poppies, a carvery restaurant that my Mam nearly got arrested in last August, but we changed our minds and went to a little Chinese restaurant just round the corner instead. The meal was lovely, and fairly cheap, and we really enjoyed it. We returned to the hotel bar and spent the rest of the night in there. They had a jazz group playing, in a space the size of your average small kitchen, and there were 9 of them! One played the piano, one guitarist, two banjo players, a trombonist, a drummer, saxophonist/clarinetist, a singer who also played the trumpet and a bloke on a tuba! To be honest we didn't really think much of them so we went up to our rooms at about 10pm. Apart from anything else we were all knackered. Craig and Kevin were sharing a room on the top floor so they came to our room for half an hour for a nightcap before finishing their climb.
On Bank Holiday Monday, we were downstairs for our breakfast at about 8.15am. The hotel must have been fully booked as all the tables were full, and some of them had to be reset for people who came down later. Breakfast was delicious - cereal, orange juice, full English cooked breakfast, followed by toast and marmalade or jam, all washed down with a pot of tea or coffee. YUM! Craig, Kate and I decided to have a walk along to the shops, while Kevin walked down to the promenade to wait for us...he doesn't do walking very much. As it was a Bank Holiday a lot of the shops weren't open at that time of the morning, but some of them were so we had a look in a few. At the harbour we turned around and walked back. I'd spotted some photo frames in a shop that were on offer for £1 each, so I snaffled five of them...they'll come in handy to frame some of my needlework. We found where Kevin was sitting and joined him for an hour, soaking up the sun. Actually, there wasn't that much sun when we sat down as it clouded over a bit, but it did get sunny again later on. Late morning we went back to the hotel and back into the bar to read the papers (and have a drink of to replenish the liquid levels you know!) then Craig and I decided to go for a wander. Kate and Kevin didn't want to move so they stayed where they were. We ended up just going round the corner to one of the pubs we'd been in yesterday and had some lunch there, before having a walk back along to the shops as Kevin and Kate wanted us to get some rock for them. We sat at the harbour for a while, and sat a bit more further along the promenade on the way back to the hotel.
We spent the next couple of hours sitting outside the hotel pub, just chatting and watching the world go by, before freshening up and going over the road to the Italian restaurant, where the meal was quite nice, but expensive. We returned to the hotel bar and waited for the singer to turn up. He was a rock and roll singer, mostly singing Elvis stuff, and he kept embarrassing the hell out of Kate by singing to her. Her face was a picture. By 10am we were flagging again - too much sun I think - so we went to our room for a night cap before Craig and Kevin went up to their room.
Tuesday (yesterday) dawned nice and sunny yet again, and we were downstairs for breakfast just after 8am. Afterwards we finished packing our bags and loaded the car up again before leaving Bridlington at about 9.40am. We detoured through Scarborough as two of us needed the toilet, then headed north. About halfway we headed into Guisborough again and had our lunch in a pub before heading for home again. We finally arrived home at 3pm-ish, unloaded the car and just dropped! Craig had to take Kevin back home but he was soon back.
After a few hours rest we decided to go to bingo last night. Between us we won about £80, which we were quite pleased about, so we bought a Chinese meal on the way home, ate it when we got here then went to bed about an hour later.

No comments: